" "



1. How many intakes are there each year? When does the year start?

There is one intake every year. The Fall Term starts in September at the HKUST campus. 

2. What is the class size?

The intake is expected to be around 50-60 students

3. What is the course length and how many class hours will it cover?

For a 2-credit course, there are a total of 28 contact hours. There is usually one class per week for each course, so it takes 8 weeks (normally with the final week allotted for examination) to complete a course of 2 credits.

4. Can I claim course exemptions for my previous study?

Yes, but credits for exempted courses have to be replaced by electives. Some courses can be exempted for students who have obtained certain qualifications with proof provided, such as transcript and syllabuses of courses, when the content and level of the previous courses are equivalent to those of the exempted courses and satisfactory grades were achieved.

5. Is it possible to extend the length of my study?

Normally we do not encourage students to extend their length of study. However, we do offer study extensions to students who cannot complete the program within the defined timeframe because of health reasons. All students must complete the whole program within 5 years.

6. Do I need a student visa for studying in Hong Kong?

Yes, students who do not have the right to reside in Hong Kong are required to apply for a student visa for entering into Hong Kong and studying a program. The Program Office will coordinate with the University's Office of Postgraduate Studies to arrange student visas for all incoming non-local students upon admission and prior to the commencement of the program. The duration of the student visa will last for one year. 

7. What is the major difference between the part-time study mode and the full-time study mode?

The part-time study mode is mostly for working executives in Hong Kong or nearby regions. It takes normally two years to complete for the part-time program. Students in the part-time study mode must have at least two years of full-time post-qualification work experience in order to be considered. 

The students of the full-time study mode are mostly recent graduates or junior professionals who dedicate their full attention to the master study. Students attend most of the classes on weekdays and a few classes on Saturdays. Student can complete the program in one year.

8. Will I be able to do program transfer between the full-time and part-time study modes?

Program transfer between the full-time and part-time study modes after program commencement is normally NOT encouraged. Students have to be clear about their interest and time commitment in either study modes at the time of application and admission, and commit to their enrolled study mode throughout the course of study. Transfer between the study modes is considered on a case by case basis only with strong reasons, and is also subject to the approval of the Academic Director. 



1. Do I need to submit all of the materials by the application deadline? 

Yes, you have to submit the online application form including application fee and copies of supporting documents by the application deadline. Only scanned copies of the supporting documents are required at the application stage. It is strongly recommended that applicants make use of the document uploading function on the online application platform to submit soft copies of documents.

The GMAT/GRE is not compulsory but we highly recommend applicants to take such exam. And you are required to take TOEFL or IELTS unless your first language is English or your qualification is awarded by a university or an institution where the language of institution is English. You are advised to have the test scores ready when you submit the application. Otherwise, please schedule your test as early as possible and put your scheduled test date on the application. In any case, you should submit your scores within one month after the application deadline.

If you are being admitted, you are required to show the original documents and/or submit the certified true copies, with official imprint and signature, by the issuing authorities.

2. Is a minimum GMAT/GRE score required for admission?

We do not have a minimum score requirement. Applicants' English ability will also be assessed during a face-to-face interview.

3. Can the GMAT/GRE requirement be waived?

As applicants come from different academic backgrounds, different education institutions, and different countries of origin, the GMAT/GRE score allows us to access their academic ability to participate in an international program. Extensive research also supports the GMAT/GRE as a consistent measure of how well an applicant will handle postgraduate studies, particularly core courses. 

If an applicant does not have a GMAT/GRE score, his/her English level will still be assessed during the interview.

4. I have not taken the GMAT/GRE yet. Should I submit my application?

You could first submit your application and indicate in the application form of your scheduled test date. You are advised to schedule the GMAT/GRE within a month after the application deadline. An unofficial GMAT/GRE score report will be available right after the test, and you upload the report in the application system for our reference.

5. How long is my GMAT/GRE result valid for?

Your GMAT/GRE result is valid for 5 years prior to the commencement of study.

6. Do I need to submit a TOEFL/IELTS score with my application?

A TOEFL/IELTS score is required if your first language is not English or your degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction is not English.

7. Is a minimum TOEFL/IELTS score required for admission?

For TOEFL, a score of 550 (paper test) or 80 (Internet test) is required. For IELTS, a minimum score of 6 is required.

8. How long is my TOEFL/IELTS result valid for?

Your TOEFL/IELTS result is valid for 2 years prior to the commencement of study.

9. What is the Institution Code for HKUST for GMAT/GRE/TOEFL/IELTS?

GMAT- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - HKUST Business School, Other master's degree programs, Full-Time or Part-Time

GRE - 3834

TOEFL - 0170

IELTS - Name of department: Postgraduate Outreach and Admissions Team
           Name of institution: The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology 
           Address: Room 6418, Lift 25-26, Academic Building, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong (No postal code is required for Hong Kong)

Please note that applicant is not required to send in the score report during application. Instead, the Program Office will ask for the certified true copies when you are being admitted into the program.

10.  Who can be my referees?

As two references are required, you should nominate two academic referees (for the full-time program) or two professional referees (for the part-time program) who know you well and can inform the University about your academic ability, character and capacity for postgraduate studies.  

11. I have already got 2 reference letters from my referee, is it acceptable?

For the references, you are required to give us the name and the contact method of the referees in your online application. Once you have submitted your application, the system will send an invitation email directly to the referees asking them to fill out the references for you in the online application system. We highly recommend you to communicate with your referees for their earliest reply. We will only review the application once all the documents are received. In case the referees did not receive the reference form, you may resend the form to them via the system. The referees can upload a scanned copy of the written reference letter as supplementary information. The scanned copy of the written reference cannot be used to replace the online reference form. 

12. Is a face-to-face interview required?

Yes, a face-to-face interview will be arranged for shortlisted candidates residing in Hong Kong. Otherwise, video interviews via the Internet will be conducted. Phone interview requests are not accepted.

13. What do I need to take to the interview?

If you are attending a face-to-face interview, you should bring along a personal identity document and the official certificate(s) of your degree/professional qualifications, in addition to any essential supporting documents that you have not provided to the Program Office.


Campus Life

1. Is on-campus accommodation available? 

On-campus accommodation at HKUST is not available due to heavy demand. Students will have to find their own off-campus accommodation. The University's Student Housing and Residential Life Office will help to explore information for off-campus housing options for the non-local full-time students. More information can be found at http://shrl.ust.hk.

2. Do I need a laptop for study? 

We strongly recommend that students have laptops. There are, however, several computer barns on campus equipped with over a hundred computers. Those who intend to buy a laptop can join the laptop scheme on campus and purchase one at a discounted price for students, though it will take some time before the product can be picked up.

3. How far is the campus from the city center? 

The campus is just 10 minutes' ride away from the nearest Mass Transit Railway (MTR) station at Hang Hau. Supermarket, banks, bookstore and food outlets are also available on campus. The city center, Central, can be accessed by bus or minibus from campus within 45 minutes.